Baby Toys Humidifiers and Bacteria

Is Mold and Bacteria Inside Baby Toys Making Your Child Sick?
Mothers know that anything a baby can get it’s hands on goes straight into the baby’s mouth and mothers take every precaution to clean baby toys and personal care items thoroughly. Despite all of mothers efforts it is all too often true that baby toys, humidifiers, and bacteria go hand in hand. Certain toys, those that a baby puts into their mouth frequently, go in the dishwasher to steam and clean the toys thoroughly. While the parent’s intention in cleaning the baby items are good, cleaning squeaky toys causing them to become wet inside, and if not sanitized and dried properly could be causing dangerous mold and bacteria to grow on the inside of the toy. Squeaky toys are breeding grounds for toxic and dangerous mold and bacteria that thrives in darkness and moisture.  Parents need to be made aware that toxic mold and other microbial growth inside of squeaky toys may be causing your child’s mold related illness or your baby’s respiratory illnesses and ear infections if they accidentally eat such molds when mouthing toys.
Several everyday baby items from hallow squeaky rubber toys to plush toys and medical aids can be places where mold can grow in quantities large enough to make your baby very sick. Babies have fragile immune systems and are vulnerable to mold related respiratory problems and infection. Could you have inadvertently been giving your baby ear infections with ear wax suction devices? What about that nasal bulb you use to suction mucus from your baby’s nose? Ever think to cut it open and look inside of it? How about that toy animal that you squeeze in your baby’s face to entertain and pacify her and then give her to chew on? Sure, you wash the outside thoroughly, but did you ever think to clean and dry the inside? You can’t because they are one piece construction and to check the inside of the toy is to break the toy. Chance are that some of the products that I have just mentioned may have mold and bacteria growing inside of them and you are inadvertently making your babies very sick by letting your baby play with them.
Recently a Kentucky mother took the time to cut open a baby nasal suction bulb and was outraged at what she found.
A product that has recently garnered news coverage is a light blue baby nose mucous suction bulb. Kentucky mom Mitzi Johnson made national headlines by cutting a nasal bulb in half and discovering that it was full of mold, and that she was inadvertently injecting mold spores up her baby’s sinus passage each night when she suctioned the baby’s nose before bed. She said she always cleaned her son’s nose bulb with hot soapy water after each use but it was not possible to dry the inside. Photos on her Facebook profile page show the inside of the syringe full of disgusting and dangerous mold.  In addition to nasal suction bulbs, many babies are given squeaky toys to play with… more specifically, to chew on. When a baby chews on a squeaky toy the baby’s saliva is suctioned into the toy and into a dark, cool environment perfect for mold to grow unseen. When the baby chews on the toy and squeezes it, toxic mold spores can be forced directly into the baby’s lungs and respiratory system.
A very  common area of bacterial growth is inside of humidifiers. I have personally conducted at least three inspections where I have found black or reddish pink stains inside of humidifiers. In an  attempt to help babies and children with respiratory problems to breath easier parents are sometimes putting allergens, irritants, and infections agents into their children’s bedrooms rooms every time they turn contaminated  humidifiers on. Open up dehumidifiers and inspect all sections of the interior of a regular basis. Sanitize them, not with harsh harmful chemicals, but instead do so in accordance with manufactures instructions.
This is a situation that is just coming to the attention of parents everywhere and since most squeeze, squeaky toys are one piece construction you can’t cut them open without ruining the toy. But that shouldn’t matter. Cut one open and see for your self. It is your responsibility to make sure that all potential bacteria producing items in your baby’s room such as diaper pails and humidifiers are checked for microbial growth and cleaned. If upon closer examination you find clear slime likely (bacteria), red or pink stains likely (bacteria) or black wet smudge mark like stains likely) Cladosporium mold or other mold) you need to throw your baby’s squeaky toys away and share this article with mother’s everywhere through Facebook, Twitter and other social media. Better yet, take a picture of the mold you find in the toy and include that with this article.

Social Widgets powered by AB-WebLog.com.